CGA Slim Bumper
The CGA Fire Hose Slim Bumper is an excellent bumper to use for training your retriever.
They are durable, rugged, and designed with your retriever in mind.
The firehose provides excellent grip in both dry and wet conditions. The realistic duck-like feel helps promote a solid hold for your retriever, making this a #1 choice for training your dog to hunt.
The Slim size bumper is perfect for working with young or mature dogs. They are the ideal size to add variety to your training bag so that your dog is comfortable with skinner objects. Chukar, dove, quail, and teal are an example of skinny birds that your dog may pick up in the field. This bumper will help prepare your dog for slender birds.
It can be thrown a long way and is excellent for small dogs and large dogs alike.
How many and what color should I choose?
Some people train exclusively with slim bumpers, but I generally use a variety. For most situations, I recommend three or more slim bumpers and choosing the color based on application.
*Note* Slim bumpers can be used for marking, but keep in mind that they have a slimmer profile, and therefore when airborne, they may have less contrast than larger bumpers. (Especially at distance)
- White is a great all-around choice for working on marked retrieves or any drill, really. From piles to marks to blinds, a white bumper has its place. For building confidence on blinds, use a white bumper. Make sure your dog can see it! For marked retrieves, use a white bumper. It will help your dog be as successful as it can be.
- Orange is excellent for blind retrieves. Don't be surprised if your dog runs right past an orange bumper. It's harder for your dog to see and, therefore, should be used in the proper context considering variables like wind, cover, etc. Don't be afraid to tape a duck wing or add scent to your bumper to help your dog on the blind retrieve. They have an incredible nose for a reason.
- Yellow is an excellent blend of white and orange, in our opinion. In some cases, it's easier for the dog to see than white; however, it all depends on context. The science out there shows that dogs can see yellow well, but in our experience, it all boils down to contrast of the environment. You can use yellow for both marked and blind retrieves. I use them as a good in-between bumper for yellow and orange.
- A 2.25" x 12" size Bumper.
- Poly Firehose Case: Woven for strength and long life
- Double Polyester Stitching
- Poly Rope Handle: Rot resistance like no other product
- 100% Granulated Cork Core: Never absorbs water, always buoyant